Allergies & Sensitivities
Dr. Justin Pollack, ND
Each year, more than 50 million Americans suffer from allergies, making them the 6th leading cause of chronic disease in the United States, and costing the health care system $18 billion annually. (American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology) Allergies take many forms. True allergies always involve the production of IgE antibodies by B-cells of the immune system. If a person experiences “anaphylaxis” (rapid onset of hives, itching, watering eyes and excessive mucous production, sneezing, sometimes restricted breathing), then immediate-onset “IgE” antibodies were formed – causing histamine release by mast cells of the immune system. If a person experiences chronic, low-grade symptoms of inflammation (chronic sinusitis, recurrent middle ear infections, chronic digestive mysteries labeled IBS for lack of explanation, chronic skin issues such as eczema or psoriasis), often delayed-onset “IgG” antibodies were formed – causing a slow, sustained reaction by much of the immune system. Instead of true allergies, some people have what are termed “sensitivities” to foods or environmental irritants. Sensitivities are when a person gets symptoms happening from non-IgE antibodies (like IgG or IgA), or another chemical from the immune system (like interleukins or prostaglandins).
ALLERGY TEST OPTIONS. (We offer every type of test listed below, except RAST)
1. Elimination (avoidance)-reintroduction. Done by patient at home with food chart / journal. The gold standard for testing food allergies, because you come to understand what your personal reaction looks like.
☺=When done well, this gives the most reliable results for all FOOD allergies & sensitivities. Free.
☹=Tests FOODS only. Time-consuming to complete - average around 1 month. Tough for kids to do.
2. BioSET (bio-energetic/quantum) test. Dr. Pollack’s “IQS” machine & computer. EAV-like machine connected to computer software. Like a lie-detector test or ECG, this tests energy responses along energy meridians on the hand. Thousands of testing possibilities include foods, pollens, danders, chemicals, molds & fungus, body systems, organs, cells, elements, and anything you can bring to the office.
☺=Patient is charged for office visit time only. Easy for kids. Many patients' favorite. Reproducible results.
☹=Information used by testing equipment can't be seen, and is based on quantum physics, not Newtonian science.
3. IgG +IgE antibody panels. US-Biotek laboratory. Blood draw or finger-stick. With US Biotek, a 96-food panel will cost $195 for IgG only testing, using a finger-stick which is easy for kids, while IgG+IgE testing will cost $265 and require a blood draw. Panels are available for additional inhalants and latex allergy.
☺=Science-based, reliable for recent exposure to allergen. Many patients’ favorite. Reproducible results.
☹=Antibody levels can be deceptively low if no allergen exposure within the last 2-3 months.
4. IgA(mucosa-derived) antibody test. Diagnos-Techs labs. Stool + saliva samples at home. A comprehensive look at digestive markers and signs of parasites, fungal and bacterial infestation, the “comprehensive GI panel” tests IgA antibody levels for gluten, soy, egg and dairy proteins for $350.
☺=Best look at digestive problems available. Science-based, reliable for all mucosa (IgA) reactions to foods.
☹=Stool collection at home required. Only four food protein antibodies tested.
5. RAST (skin scratch/prick) test. This test is the standard of hospitals and MD-allergists. Injections of allergens cause inflammation in the skin, measuring only IgE antibodies.
☺=Science-based, reliable for IgE (anaphylactic) reactions only.
☹=Painful. Misses the majority of allergies (IgG/delayed-onset) & sensitivities.
6. Lymphocyte Response Assays. ELISA/ACT Biotechnologies and ALCAT laboratory. These testing techniques observe the response of white blood cells when exposed to allergens.
☺=Reported to catch all sensitivities and allergies except IgE. Good correlations with clinical symptoms.
☹=Low reproducibility on studies. Getting whole blood samples requires a big needle, and careful prep.
ALLERGY TREATMENT OPTIONS
The old tried and true way of “eliminating allergies” is to avoid them. Clean/leave your house, get an air filter, get rid of the cat, stop eating wheat, move away from the hayfields of Nebraska, and so on. If a person does this for long enough, (often a minimum of 6 months) allergies or sensitivities may diminish to the point where small, limited exposures can be tolerated. With food sensitivities, a “rotation diet” can often speed up the process of diminishing reactions to offending allergens.
NORMALIZING IMMUNE FUNCTION.
1. BioSET therapy. (De-sensitization / allergy clearing) Dr. Justin Pollack has been practicing BioSET allergy desensitization since 2007, with required yearly updates to his advanced certification. Most patients have experienced clearing or major diminishing of allergies and sensitivities with 1-3 sessions – a major improvement on allergy avoidance, steroid medications or weekly allergy injections. BioSET (Bioenergetic Sensitivity & Enzyme Therapy) encompasses three branches of healing: Organ specific detoxification, enzyme therapy, and a noninvasive acupressure technique – an advancement on N.A.E.T.
With BioSET®, numerous substances can be cleared at once, rather than just one at a time. A BioSET desensitization is like an allergy vaccine, done with an electrical imprint of your diluted allergen. The effect is to reset the immune and nervous system to a place of tolerance. One patient said that “BioSET® is like a 747 compared to the pony express”, in relation to older allergy elimination techniques. Since allergies can be taken care of in 1-3 sessions, Bioset saves a patient from having to go back for repeated clearings and numerous sessions with practitioners, which can become costly. See our handout on BioSET therapy for allergies and Sensitivities.
2. Cleanse and detoxify the body. We have found this to be one of the fastest and most effective ways to optimize the immune system (and most other body systems). The liver is the primary filtration organ of the body. When the filter is clogged, antigen-antibody complexes stay in circulation longer, and spill over to other areas of the body. Doing a dietary cleanse & detox can reduce or eliminate allergies, by allowing the body to quickly filter out the antigen-antibody complexes - causes of the symptoms of allergies. Ask about our 7 and 14 day cleanse & detox packets.
3. Don’t eat inflammatory or mucous producing food. Foods that cause excessive mucous production include refined sugar, refined carbohydrates especially gluten grains, dairy, bananas, and juices like orange & grapefruit. Foods that have pro-inflammatory effects in the body, include saturated or trans-fats (from red meat & dairy, fried & hydrogenated oils).
4. Use anti-inflammatory nutrients. These include N-Acetyl cysteine (NAC), antioxidant vitamins C, A, E and selenium, quercitin and other bioflavinoids, EPA & DHA (super-unsaturated omega-3 oils from cold water fish), bromelain and papain (enzymes from pineapple & papaya).
5. Reduce candida in the digestive flora. The book “Sinus Survival,” focuses on killing off excessive yeast (Candida albicans) and balancing the body’s digestive flora. Candida and other yeast overgrowth in the digestive tract can cause inflammation and possible disruptions to the cellular junctions of the small intestine. This allows proteins and waste products into the bloodstream where the immune system starts to clean up and form antibodies to large protein complexes, setting the stage for allergies.
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR REMAINING SYMPTOMS (Focused on sinus congestion)
- Take NAC with Vitamin C. We carry these nutrients because your body takes these two ingredients, and makes the potent antioxidant: glutathione, which is a natural anti-histamine and mucolytic.
- Take “Aller-Aid”, “D-Hist” or a similar herbal combination. Many find these supplements as effective as “Claritin”, without the drowsy side-effect. Combinations of quercitin (a bioflavinoid from fruit that acts as a natural antihistamine) freeze-dried stinging nettles (Urtica dioica: the hairs contain histamine-like formic acid, and it acts like an allergy vaccine when used in freeze-dried form) NAC and vitamin C make for a nutritive anti-histamine. We also make individualized herbal tinctures for people, with combinations of botanicals like Euphrasia officinalis, Sambucus nigra, Glycerrhiza glabra, and when necessary/appropriate, Ephedra sinica.
- Use a “neti pot”. Physical treatments that help to cut down mucous and sinusitis, include nasal irrigation with saline water (neti pot), steam inhalation, using a humidifier (with essential oils like eucalyptus or peppermint), nasal sprays (saline or homeopathic), or if sinuses are irreversibly clogged, we have a powerful “naso-sympatico” treatment we can perform at our clinic.